Friday, February 21, 2014

Joy in the Choice



I knew when I started on my road to weight loss that it would be easier in the beginning then it would be in the end, but I wasn't expecting that duration of time to be in the span of one month. I lost my first few pounds pretty quick, but have already plateaued over the last two weeks, not even a third of the way to my goal.

One of the most common questions that people face when starting a new weight loss plan is "Will this be sustainable for the rest of my life?" Sometimes this question can stop us from even starting. For me I know that I can maintain just about anything, as long as I see results...... and here in lies one of my biggest problems.

This morning, as I stood on the scale that still hadn't changed, I realized that if I was going to keep moving forward I was going to need to sort a few things out in my head. Are all of the changes that I have made sustainable or worth while if I don't seen any results? As it has happened so many times before I knew the answer was to be found in a change of heart.

I find joy in healthy living when I see results, but I need to find joy in the healthy choices I make, regardless of the results. This battle is no about too much sugar or not enough exercise, it's about living a content life because I know I have made the right choice. It's about living in victory every time I walk away from that "thing" that is not good for me and it reaches so far beyond food.

Chasing after results alone is exhausting and in the end not sustainable, but if I can find joy in the daily decisions that I know are good for me, I will live a victorious and rewarding life. It won't be easy, but thankfully I don't have to rely on my own abilities -

"The Lord is my strength and my shield;

in him my heart trusts, and I am helped;"

Psalm 28:7

No comments:

Post a Comment