Thursday, January 5, 2012

Start to Finish

Oh how I LOVE to start projects. As a creative person, there are few things in this life I enjoy more. A new skein of yarn, just the perfect color. A blank canvas, although terrifying at times, holds such hope. The fist few stitches and strokes are by far the best.

Of course it's no wonder that my mind keeps lingering on new projects, it's the start of a new year. Life and Art seem one and the same. Will it be the masterpiece I see on my minds eye? Will I impress even myself with the way I execute it? After all, the years past have taught me so much. I surely won't drop as many stitches this year.

Truth be told, as great at I am at starting things, I am equally as bad at finishing them. Why is that? Sure I can list a number of reasons right off the top of my head; time, motivation, money, life. It just, something tells me there's more to it then that.

I Just stopped typing to ponder this and the answer hit me upside the head (or maybe that was my hand). The answer, at least for me, is it stops being fun. I get to that point that it's work. It takes effort, both mental and physical, to see it through to the end. Wow, that was freeing and humbling all at the same time.

So why am I driven to create? If the answer is just for fun, then it wouldn't matter if I ever finished a single project. As soon as it ceased to be fun, I could put the project down, no problem. It would have served its purpose. Yet all the unfinished projects laying around my house won't let me be fooled.

Creating is apart of me. I feel it at my core. I know the Creator Himself put it there, and I think I'm beginning to understand why. Although starting a project may increase my creative skills and abilities, finishing a project impacts me on a much deeper level. Even if the finished project never sees the light of day, I know I am better for it. I come away with a little more patience, determination, and self assurance. Even if I see all the flaws, I know I found inside myself, what it took to make it to the end.

This process, start to finish, is how God is molding me into the person He wants me to become. Maybe I should stop standing in His way.

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."
Phillippians 1:6



No comments:

Post a Comment