Saturday, December 29, 2012

Joy of Discovery: Stella Im Hultberg

Sleep to Dream - 2011
24" x 18" - Acrylic and Colored Pencil on Panel

One of the projects we were given in the art class I just finished, was to create a blog and write about contemporary, three dimensional artist. Although it was hard to fit blogging into my homework time, I did end up appreciating the exercise. I was able to expand my horizons and learned to appreciate a larger scoop of art. I thought it would be fun to incorporate an artist discovery post into this blog.

Lasya - 2012
"11x14" - Acrylic and Colored Pencil on Panel

I recently came across the art of Stella Im Hultberg on the website My Modern Met. Stella is a Korean artist who currently lives in New York. I think a good word to describe many of her female figures is "haunting". Some have a dream like quality and some seem sad or troubled, but all are intriguing and beautiful. Stella's art reminded me a lot of the work by Audrey Kawasaki and it turns out that they have collaborated on a painting.

Always -2007
12" x 16" - Oil and Ink on tea-stained paper

If you get a chance, check out Stella Im Hultberg's website here. The site is done well and I was really inspired by her art journals.

(All pictures sourced from the artist's website)

No comments:

Post a Comment