Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I'm: Overwhelmed


I'm overwhelmed, there's no other way to say it. The thing is, I'm not overwhelmed by my full time job, house work, or any of the daily duties that go hand and hand with being a wife and mom. I'm overwhelmed with creativity.

I'm overloaded with every creative idea vying for attention in my brain. I'm maxed out with Pinterest projects, and dogeared magazine pages. The piles of "in progress" projects are popping up in my house like some sort of insane art mole has invaded, but I'm pretty sure flooding my living room isn't going to help me out with this one.

Just the other day, I was scrolling through the notepad on my phone (where I keep all the really important stuff) and found something I had put there at the end of last year. It was an entry entitled "Kristen's Rotating Focus". Apparently I had recognized my impending creative collapse months ago and had come up with a possible fix.

The idea; take the myriad of interest and ideas I have and break them into four categories. Assign those categories, each to a season. Here's the tricky bit, only work on projects in said category during their designated season. Now I remember why I didn't try this, what If I want to knit something in June? How could I possibly limit myself in that way? 

So after six months of creative freedom, where am I? Completely stuck and miserable. Something I love so much, should not be causing me this much grief. I just don't have time for it all. I'm pretty sure someone once told me that limits are a good thing. Trying to follow this plan is going to be a challenge, but I have to bite the built. Below is my rotating schedule and If I come up with a great knitting project in June I'll just have to make a note in my phone so I don't forget it come December. 

Spring-Arts & Crafts
Summer-Gardening & Canning
Fall- Home DIY & Gifts (Christmas being around the corner)
Winter-Knitting & Sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment